Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Treatment with Soft Water ?

4 posters

Go down

Water Treatment with Soft Water ? Empty Water Treatment with Soft Water ?

Post  hydro9 Sat 01 Oct 2016, 7:57 pm

Does anyone have experience of using treatment when the boiler contains softened water?
The Multitreat stuff I've purchased recommends 0.3% (3000ppm) for hard water, but no indication of how much to reduce this by if you only need the free oxygen grabbing property for rust prevention.
I've also read that treatment should not be overdone, but I can't find any information on what happens if you do.
Hence my question.

Chris

hydro9

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-04-20

Back to top Go down

Water Treatment with Soft Water ? Empty Re: Water Treatment with Soft Water ?

Post  LiveSteam Sat 01 Oct 2016, 8:11 pm

In my short experience, over doing the water treatment can lead to excessive priming, also over doing it over a long period of time it will build up around the mudring which sets like concrete from what I've been told, hence carrying out regular blow downs and washing out.

Having said that I know folks who dont use it all with little ill effects, although I suspect in the long term it will cause issues, although how long long term is I'm not sure scratch

I must admit to only dosing generally once over a weekend rally, its not like it comes over in the steam (unless it primes) so what ever you put in will stay in the boiler accept when you blow down etc.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sat 01 Oct 2016, 8:22 pm

As I live in Scotland and have very good water I still use treatment in my boilers as it slows down corrosion my last steel boiler looked like new inside even after some years use
mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 02 Oct 2016, 6:12 pm

Medium tea in the sight glass here in very soft north of scotland. Boiler inspector very pleased with 5 years in steam.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down