Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diff-iculties

2 posters

Go down

Diff-iculties Empty Diff-iculties

Post  ChriX Sun 01 May 2016, 8:54 pm

I've been working on my differential today. The main compensating centre with the bevel gears and the two outer gears went together fine (or seemed to), but I'm running into difficulty when assembling the lot on the second shaft.

I worked a lot on the diff lock setup to make sure it was all smooth and was quite happy with that. When I add the centre and outer bevel gears and put the washer on the end of the 2nd shaft the whole lot binds up so just looking to see how everyone else got on.

1st, on the left, the inner bevel gear is bearing on the 2nd shaft casting which I am sure can't be right...? It's gradually wearing into the paint.
2nd, the outer bevel gear looks like it meshes too tightly when I put the washer on the end, it becomes very hard to turn the centre and it jams up a lot.
3rd, when all assembled the diff lock does not fully engage. I have checked and this is because the lock ring is hitting the back of the bevel gear, i.e. it's fully out of travel but hasn't gone far enough to allow the pin to drop in.

Photos below.

Any pointers gratefully received! As I understand it the diff is the same as on the 4" SC agri so hopefully lots of people have solved this one before me Smile

Chris

Diff-iculties Photo%2001-05-2016%2C%2016%2053%2032
Diff-iculties Photo%2001-05-2016%2C%2016%2053%2059
Diff-iculties Photo%2001-05-2016%2C%2016%2054%2039
ChriX
ChriX

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-06-22

Back to top Go down

Diff-iculties Empty Re: Diff-iculties

Post  Simon B Mon 02 May 2016, 9:30 am

Hi Chris

The inner gear on mine also touches the axle casting, but as there is no thrust washer or room to fit one I presumed this was how it is supposed to be. On fitting the inner bevel gear I covered the end on grease.

When I tightened the end washer mine also bound up, the first problem was the head of the bolt as Steve mentioned in the instructions, the second reason was that the top of the tender strap that bolts onto the horn plate was proud of the second axle casting by about 1mm and I could see where the inner bevel gear had rubbed away the paint so needed to grind this bit away to make it flush with the second axle casting. When I refitted the end retaining washer it then bound up again so I took a few thou off the outer shoulder of the washer and now all turns freely, if a little stiff probably due to the bearings being tight and no lubrication.

Just tried to engage my diff lock this morning and like yours it operates smoothly but does not engage and the holes in the top plate of the diff lock don't line up, my photo is identical to yours so seems like a common problem.

I hope the above helps?

Best wishes

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  ChriX Mon 02 May 2016, 9:47 am

Simon thanks for that, much appreciated. Now off out to the shed so will take into account your suggestions and report back later.

Chris
ChriX
ChriX

Back to top Go down

Post  ChriX Mon 02 May 2016, 2:41 pm

All working fine now... I cleaned all the paint off the 2nd shaft tube and greased it up, and took a little skim off the shoulder of the washer as you did Simon, all good now. Aside from the diff lock; I might drill another hole and tap it out.
ChriX
ChriX

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down