Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June

+8
Heavyhaul
Steve H
lynnr
MrStationHouse
bjwlancashire
mikero
Steve Traill
Tim Watson
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Empty St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June

Post  Tim Watson Sat 02 May 2015, 5:29 pm

Dear All
We are going to be taking 'Frederick' for a little 80 mile run from St Albans to Brighton on the 13th June. This will be in aid of Parkinson's UK.  The route will most likely be up the A5 to London, passing by Buckingham Palace & Westminster, then down the A23 to Brighton.  Not sure if this will be a record continuous run for a miniature, but it will certainly be a long day for us!

We will use my van and trailer transport arrangements as close-support to carry all our coal and a lot of water.  We will soon be working out points along the route for water.  My wife, Cecily, (who has Parkinson's) and daughter will act as as long range back-up in another vehicle. 

It would be great to have any support and sponsorship from the forum.  The charity donation web page is:
https://www.justgiving.com/Parkinsons-miniaturesteamrun

I'll keep you up to date with developments.  As a taster for what is to come, two of the drivers can be seen in the photos below, taken on the 28 mile NTET road run last September.

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_0310
Picture Ben Matthews
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_0810
Picture Malcolm Ranieri

I am really looking forward to this!
Tim

Last edited by Tim Watson on Sun 24 May 2015, 7:24 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Inserted just giving web address, it's 80 miles not 75 as first estimated)
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Empty Brighton run

Post  Steve Traill Sat 02 May 2015, 11:11 pm

Should be a good run, I've every confidence that Frederick will make it. Going through central London an a Saturday should be interesting to say the least, I've got the easy job though, just keeping the fire going & operating the brake! oh, ..........and not falling off!!

I think I might need a bit of straightening out when we get to Brighton though, ...... and some lubrication.

If you can spare a few pennies for Parkinsons UK, it's a good cause & lets hope one day they find a cure.

Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Empty Re: St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June

Post  mikero Sun 03 May 2015, 9:56 pm

I can assure you that refreshments, liquid and otherwise, will be waiting fr you down here.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Empty Re: St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June

Post  Steve Traill Sun 03 May 2015, 10:16 pm

I think it could be a bit like the film 'Ice cold in Alex' only without the sand!!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Sun 03 May 2015, 11:22 pm

We've got plenty of that as well.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Mon 11 May 2015, 9:15 pm

We will be doing a recce of the route on Saturday 23rd May (especially south of the river - tiger country).
210 litre water tank was delivered today to travel in the support trailer.
Will be stopping at St Thomas' Hospital to top up water on the far side of Westminster Bridge, at around midday on the 13th

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Wed 13 May 2015, 9:36 am

Tim, do you have a video camera to mount on Frederic? It would be interesting to see the 4" scale view of the traffic after watching Steve Arrowsmith taking his Foster and trailers through recently.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Wed 13 May 2015, 10:05 am

Brian
I expect we'll have someone in the waggon through London and elsewhere if people are interested. Any suggestions for mounted cameras?

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Wed 13 May 2015, 11:07 am

can't go wrong with a GoPro

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 13 May 2015, 12:18 pm

Gopro are excellent cameras.

Gopro mount
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Empty Route planned

Post  Tim Watson Sun 24 May 2015, 7:12 pm

Cecily and I did a reconnaissance of the route yesterday.  Would welcome meeting any STW people along the way: you might even get a wagon ride.  If you PM me your email address I can send you the detailed itinerary.
The route we are taking is actually 80 miles, not 75.
Herfordshire / Middlesex
The route will follow the A5 to London, starting from St Albans at 0445
Central London
We will stop at Regents Park, then on south to Baker St, Oxford St, Marble Arch, Park Lane, Hyde Park Corner, Constitution Hill, Birdcage Walk, Westminster & Bridge then stop at the Evelina Children's Hospital at St Thomas', Lambeth.
South London
Vauxhall, then Brixton, Streatham, to Croydon on A23 (stopping near Croydon University Hospital)
W Sussex
Purley Way, Coulsdon, Redhill on A23
We will probably take the B2036 from Horley to Burgess Hill
Then A273 over Clayton Hill and down to Brighton.
Madeira Drive 2115

Tim
https://www.justgiving.com/Parkinsons-miniaturesteamrun
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Empty Slight change of route

Post  Tim Watson Fri 12 Jun 2015, 8:20 am

With trooping the colour occurring on Saturday, we're unable to go past Buckingham Palace, but will instead go round Victoria and down to Westminster Abbey and Parliament Square.

If anyone wants the detailed timings and stop points PM me.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:44 am

Some facts & figures on our trip to the seaside.
Tim Watson Driver / steersman; Steve Traill fireman / brakesman
Mike Randall & John Traill van support.
Cecily Watson & Emily Godsif far-range support.
We boiled 450 litres of water, burnt 4.5 bags of coal and used 4 litres of oil.

Left 0600 arrived 0130 next day. 19.5 hrs for 80 miles. 4.1 mph average
14 hours travelling time. 5.7 mph average road speed.
Top speed around 20 mph outside Brighton on A23.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Sun 14 Jun 2015, 9:22 am

Congratulations, looking forward to the pictures Very Happy Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Empty Re St Albans to Brighton

Post  Heavyhaul Sun 14 Jun 2015, 10:05 am

Many congratulations Tim on your achievement.

Heavyhaul

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Sun 14 Jun 2015, 5:01 pm

What an achievement, congratulations!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Sun 14 Jun 2015, 6:47 pm

Congratulations and well done Tim and all your helpers what achievement..

Andy.
the coleman
the coleman

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 15 Jun 2015, 1:38 am

Absolutely brilliant achievement Tim, well done to you, Steve and the rest of your team. Hope your not aching to much.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Empty A few pics of the St Albans To Brighton run

Post  Steve Traill Mon 15 Jun 2015, 12:31 pm

Early start, I've left the iPhone headings up as the phone gives the time & knew where we were even when I didn't!

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3810

Damp start, with drizzly rain, the spray from the back wheels meant I was sitting in a puddle for two hours, mudguards needed next for wet weather travel!
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3811
Quick pit stop
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3812
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3813

The roads in North London are rough, we tried really hard to either drive around the potholes or slow right down.  Inevitably we missed a few and one big one neither of us saw was here.
It was so violent both our heads got jerked back, both our hats flew off at the same time and the steering went very slack, fortunately it didn't let go completely or we would have crashed into something.
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3814
As luck would have it we had a spare so it was changed over & that held fore the rest of the trip.
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3815 St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3816

More to follow later!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Mon 15 Jun 2015, 1:44 pm

Great photos Steve! It wasn't luck that made sure we had a spare steering set, I had been worried about this being a potential problem and got Steve to send me a spare set.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Empty Part two

Post  Steve Traill Mon 15 Jun 2015, 2:42 pm

It's still lucky he sent the right part!!
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3817  St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3818
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3819[/url  St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3820
Cecilly joined us while we filled up with water & had a short break.
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3821  St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3822  
Pit stop at McDonalds for something to eat & drink.
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3910
Filling up our water tank from the big trailer tank, the system Tim created worked brilliantly with it being quick & easy to top up when needed.St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3911[/url St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3912
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3913
Chimney suffering a bit, the paint peeling & the base had come a bit loose with the rough roads      The light starting to fade now.
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3914[/url   St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3915
The roads were a bit rough & we were travelling fairly quickly so apologies for the wobbly hand.

St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3916[/urlSt Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3917
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3918
Finally at our goal,.............. now where's the B&B
St Albans - Brighton 80 mile road run for Parkinson's UK - 13th June Img_3919
About 10 miles from Brighton I had my first bit of trouble with the fire, I knew it was clinkered up but that near to the finish we didn't want to drop the fire & start again.  After giving it a good talking to & a prod we managed to get the fire to make steam again & carried on.  I don't think we would have gone much further as we lost the grate rake somewhere & this was the state of the ashpan when we did drop it!! Chocca Block with ash.

Tim's engine ran faultlessly throughout the 20 hours of the trip, at the finish it was running just as sweetly with no knocks at all. The only problems were with the steering link, the damper lever flopping about, a couple of bolts on the gear guard came out & had to be replaced, we lost a brass hub cap on the trailer & a couple of bolts holding the others in, a big end oiler cap disappeared somewhere, we left the grate rake somewhere, the bracing bar for the canopy came loose & we took it off in the end.
For my part I found the engine very easy to keep in steam, apart from when we filled up the boiler with the injector we had steam enough to move all the time. The rear brakes are very good and only occasionally on the big downhills did Tim use the flywheel brake as additional braking. The flywheel brake is very reassuring when faced with a big downhill and basically from the M25 to Brighton we were either going up a big hill or coming down one!
Great adventure, thanks Tim for letting me be part of it.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Mon 15 Jun 2015, 3:28 pm

If you do the calculations, from the time stamps on Steve's atmospheric photos, the last seven miles into Brighton were covered in 45 minutes, an average of 9.3 mph. That included going very slowly around the last mile of the route with very rough roads. On the A23 with an excellent road surface, with no traffic, Frederick was really flying!

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Mon 15 Jun 2015, 5:01 pm

Spectacular pictures, Thanks for putting them up on the forum... reinforces what an amazing journey you guys have achieved!! Very Well Done!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Mon 15 Jun 2015, 6:59 pm

I am still seeing that flashing tail light two days later.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Mon 15 Jun 2015, 7:16 pm

Well done guys nice pictures .. Tim i did go to brighton i left about 10.30  kids getting board..
Mike i can get one those light so you can have your own light to look so when you stop seeing that light you can turn your own light on..
Andy
the coleman
the coleman

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next