Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaf spring too long?

2 posters

Go down

Leaf spring too long? Empty Leaf spring too long?

Post  phil gomez Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:47 pm

Hi everyone.
Quick question about the rear leaf spring leigh.
I am thinking about cutting the top two leaf springs down to fit te SWB wagon. Looking at it and the drawings that comes with kit 3 it looks like the springs are the correct length on the LWB wagon but looks too long for the SWB wagon.
Just thought I get some opinions?

I was hoping kit 3 would be trouble free, well no such luck. One of the tensioner bar threads have been cut too deep the the clamp will not tighten up properly in fact it snapped one of the clamp joints (re-soldered it) ok now. Has anybody else had any problems like this.

Phil.

Last edited by phil gomez on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can not spell)

phil gomez

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Back to top Go down

Leaf spring too long? Empty Re: Leaf spring too long?

Post  hartshaulage Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm

Hi phil

I had no problems with my tensioner bar threads, however i did raise the question with steve at STW about the length of the springs, he said yes they would be more suited for the C type but they work with the SWB, the options were send to STW for cutting or do it my self.

I did it my self i think the measurements are somewhere on here, maybe in my build diary (now in owners photos)

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm

hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Back to top Go down

Post  phil gomez Wed 11 Mar 2015, 3:08 pm

Hi Russ.
Thanks for the info.
You cut 5mm off each end, will take a look at it tonight.
How hard is the spring too cut? hack saw or angle grinder???

Phil.

phil gomez

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Wed 11 Mar 2015, 5:52 pm

Hi phil

Just checked my post i put that i had cut 20mm off each end, using a angle grinder and cutting disk. When i put the two together the hole wasn't int he middle so i took a further 5 mm off the left of one side and the right of the other to make it so the springs were level.

I would however recommend fitting them roughly and working out how much you want to take off as one thing i have found with STW no one part is the same size between builds, and i dont wanan say cut 20mm off and then you have two short of a top spring

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Back to top Go down

Post  phil gomez Wed 11 Mar 2015, 8:47 pm

Hi Russ.
I measured and checked about half a dozen times (ref: your pictures posted on the forum). Then took about 20 to 25mm approx off of each spring it did vary, but I may have to take some more off later when the old beast is on her four legs when the spring get compressed. That's for another day. If I have got it wrong, STW will be getting a extra order for replacement spring. O well, s??t happens. Crying or Very sad
Mind you, I did set fire to my jumper cutting them i.e the springs with the angle grinder. That's a job I don't want to do again in a hurry. Ha, Ha.
Maybe a fire extinguisher should be included in the kit. ha, Ha.
My problem with the Tensoner bar has been resolved.
Young Dean (STW towers) send me an email just to let me know that a replacement Tensoner bar will be winging its way to me ASAP. Thanks Dean.

I will post pictures tomorrow (dry fit only mind you) as I have not worked out how to post the from a iPad?
Take care.

Phil.

phil gomez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down