Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query

+6
lynnr
Steve Traill
Vapor
mikero
Old Down Trevor
FodenSWB
10 posters

Go down

Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query Empty Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query

Post  FodenSWB Wed 31 Dec 2014, 11:06 pm

Hi,
We are in the process of fitting the cylinder block front covers an associated rear machined parts but the instructions do not appear to reference applying sealant to these items are they fitted as is or should I be applying foliac paste or something else to them prior to final fitting and then tightening of the nuts on the studs.

Cheers
Nick & Ken

FodenSWB

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-08-31

Back to top Go down

Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query Empty Re: Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query

Post  Old Down Trevor Thu 01 Jan 2015, 5:53 pm

I would use the gaskets supplied plus a smear of foliac. Have you checked to ensure that the central hole in the front covers is concentric with the outer diameter that locates in the cylinder bore- mine were not concentric consequently when assembled everything locked up solid - I could nut move the piston. Thankfully problem is being resolved with the help of Steve
regards
Old Down Trevor

Old Down Trevor

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-01-09

Back to top Go down

Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query Empty Re: Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query

Post  FodenSWB Thu 01 Jan 2015, 6:49 pm

Cheers, we had thought that it might be the case that we needed to use foliac as well as the gasket in a similar manner to the cylinder block. We have had the pistons and guides fitted but at that point without the piston rings so will check the fit again once they are fitted to make sure we don't have any issue with movement of the piston.

Cheers
Nick & Ken

FodenSWB

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Thu 01 Jan 2015, 6:51 pm

If you are going to put any kind of sealant on the gaskets its a good idea to drill and tap each cover for a release bolt.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Mon 05 Jan 2015, 8:28 pm

Well for what's it's worth I fitted the gaskets as supplied they sealed perfectly just as it said on the tin, never had a wisp of any steam losses.
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  FodenSWB Thu 08 Jan 2015, 4:05 pm

Thanks for that may just fit them dry then to see what happens.

Cheers
Nick

FodenSWB

Back to top Go down

Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query Empty Gaskets

Post  Steve Traill Thu 08 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm

On the DCC & my aggi I use gaskets for all mated surfaces and also use Hylomar gasket sealant on one side and grease on the other. It's much cleaner than foliac, disassembles without damaging the gasket and always seals perfectly.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 08 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm

I am a total skin Flint.

All my gaskets are made from Cornflake packet with oil on both sides when assembling. Seals very well and allows easy non damage removal and refit of covers.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query Empty Gaskets

Post  Steve Traill Thu 08 Jan 2015, 10:36 pm

What a good idea, I'll try that next time.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Fri 09 Jan 2015, 10:22 am

The cornflakes will be beneficial as well.

Mikero Smile
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Fri 09 Jan 2015, 1:21 pm

Well well, I wouldn't have thought cornflake cardboard would be up to the job!... Obviously it is, so I'm now awaiting my daughter to finish up the Crunchy Honey Nut Cornflakes, so I can get going on all the gaskets for both my engines!! Very Happy

I'm assuming "Crunchy nut card board" is same (or better than) ordinary corn flakes here, also does it have to be Kellogs cardboard? Laughing Laughing

Good one Lynn!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Fri 09 Jan 2015, 4:09 pm

I can confirm the Crunchy nut cornflake cardboard works. I coated both sides with foliac, not thought about oil. Not tried to take it apart as yet so may need to remake .

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Fri 09 Jan 2015, 4:20 pm

EXCELLENT, that's a definite then, I'll get my daughter on the crunchy nut corn flake diet!! Very Happy

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 09 Jan 2015, 7:33 pm

Kellogg is better cardboard.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Sun 11 Jan 2015, 4:47 pm

It is Kellogg!!!! Or it's they are?

Such high quality engineering on this forum of recent .

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Thu 15 Jul 2021, 7:09 pm

I am resurrecting this thread to get some views on using high temperature silicon rubber sheet as a gasket material for front and rear cylinder covers. I have bought a sheet of 1.5mm thick sheet and I plan to make a gasket out of it. The Foliac is so messy and I don’t see how it could be as good as a gasket of uniform thickness and known dimensions.... any views ?

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 15 Jul 2021, 10:24 pm

1.5mm seems a bit thick in my mind, well unless you have big issues with the mating surfaces ?

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Thu 15 Jul 2021, 11:11 pm

LiveSteam wrote:1.5mm seems a bit thick in my mind, well unless you have big issues with the mating surfaces ?

The mating surfaces are good - that Foliac is such filthy stuff.

1.5mm will compress down to 1mm... and that can’t be a lot thicker than the cornflake packet mentioned on this thread Cool  

High temp. Silicon rubber is made for use in high pressure applications where steam is present - it seems perfect for sealing - but what do I know about traction engines !!  Very Happy

Now that I have spent a fiver on the sheet , I think I will make a gasket and trial fit it and see....

EDITED: I have slept on this idea and am now having second thoughts, as the face of the rear cover will be a tiny bit further back than with Foliac or thin card and it might interfere with the fitting of the slide bars... I will see...

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sat 17 Jul 2021, 4:40 pm

OK - I have proved the concept with the 1.5mm thick silicon rubber sheet and the slide bars still locate fine. Now I am going to try a Mark II version with some 1mm thick black silicon rubber sheet and I think this is the way to go. It’s clean and tidy and there is no way it will be able to leak.

Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query 78041310
Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query Bf11bb10
Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query C7e43710

milford59

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Tue 27 Jul 2021, 6:50 pm

OK - just to finish off what I started, I have now made the gasket from 1mm thick silicon rubber sheet and test fitted it to the rear surface of my cylinder and I reckon it will do the job nicely…….I am no expert on steam engines, but the specification of the material strongly suggests to me that it will do a good job, and avoids the filthy mess that you get from Foliac.

Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query Ca5c6210
Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query 203b9510
Help - Cylinder Block Front Covers / Rear Piston cover sealant query D35dd610

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down