Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front axle spacer mod

2 posters

Go down

Front axle spacer mod Empty Front axle spacer mod

Post  ChriX Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:45 pm

Spoken to a couple of people and seen it on quite a few engines, where the front fork is spaced away from the perch bracket by a couple of extra inches to make it a bit easier to keep the water over the firebox.

As far as I know we have the same design on the SCC so the spacer would be of use. Has anyone got any photos of the usual way this is accomplished? I can't see a way of doing it without irreversibly modifying the fork - the shaft length would have to be reduced to then fit inside a larger collar which then in turn has a shaft which replaces the original? Attached photo of very nice SCC seen at Dorset with a spacer.

Front axle spacer mod Image10
ChriX
ChriX

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-06-22

Back to top Go down

Front axle spacer mod Empty Front axle spacer mod

Post  Steve Traill Tue 09 Dec 2014, 11:01 pm

I think the SCC will be the same as the Aggi regarding the front axle and a useful mod (certainly in Cornwall with all the hills) is to fit a 30mm spacer between the perch bracket & axle. It's basically just a big thick washer that is slid onto the main pin. This then means that the standard retaining collar has nowhere to go. Not wanting the front axle to drop away if you do a wheely! the solution is to drill & tap the centre of the vertical pin for an M8 bolt & a big washer. It's only there to stop it all falling apart, the grease nipples there keep everything well lubed, I did run a groove up mine so the grease runs all around the moving bits & in 8 years I haven't had to touch it other than with a grease gun. By doing it this way it can be reversed if you move to Holland! On the full size engines I have noticed that when an engine originates from a hilly part of the country it tends to have a bit of a backward rake on its boiler which was done by changing the size of the front wheels. I've yet to find two Burrells the same, they really were custom built.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down