Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 1/2 inch SWB rear leaf springs

+2
Tony King
Old Down Trevor
6 posters

Go down

4 1/2 inch SWB rear leaf springs Empty 4 1/2 inch SWB rear leaf springs

Post  Old Down Trevor Fri 04 Apr 2014, 7:45 pm

Having spent the past two months painting the parts from the first three kits I have now started assembly. Started on the rear axle leaf springs and found a few issues.

Firstly the supplied 60mm bolt is not long enough to go through all leaves and enter into the female thread in the axle box  housing- it needed something longer.

Second having solved the above I found that having clamped the leaves together with this bolt I tried to fit the clamps and found that I could not tighten the four nuts to pull the clamp down onto the axle box. There is about 1 to 2mm gap.

Has anybody else experienced these issues? does it matter if the clamp doesn't sit tight down into the box- my feeling is that it doesn't matter but would like another opinion.

Anybody else had these issues?

Thanks in advance for reply

Trevor

Old Down Trevor

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-01-09

Back to top Go down

4 1/2 inch SWB rear leaf springs Empty Re: 4 1/2 inch SWB rear leaf springs

Post  Tony King Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:18 pm

Hi Trevor,
Can't actually answer your questions, but I'm sure someone will soon enough. However, I just wanted to make an observation, in that I strongly recommend you always assemble & fit the kit bits, before you attempt to spend loads of time painting. This allows for any problems to found sooner rather than later & any fitting & fettling can be done & observations made as where & where not to paint!! Sometimes just the thickness of paint can upset things!!
Please ignore this if you already do this stuff!!
Enjoy your build

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  atomenter Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm

Hi Trevor
Had a look back at my build diary and didn't see anything about problems with the rear springs, extract from diary below.

19 Feb 10 Wire brushed all leaf springs.  Cleaned up Tension Adjuster arms.  Right Hand ends had a fair bit of corrosion - possible left over from MW?
Assembled blocks, springs and clamps & fitted to chassis to check.  Took to bits again to grease leaf springs prior to painting.  All ready for primer tomorro
w.

I did have a problem couple of years later with the adjusting arms, the brazing decided to come apart at the clamping bolt when I was adjusting the chain by moving the axle backwards.  I rebrazed this myself and it has been OK since.

That's about all I can remember about rear springs and back axle problems.
Hope you enjoy the build as much as I did and I am sure you will enjoy the steaming even more.
Regards

Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  SSGR Sat 05 Apr 2014, 7:17 pm

Hi Trevor,

I didn't have too many problems putting the rear leaf springs together.

I would agree with Tony though and always dry fit each kit before painting and don't put too much paint on areas that are close fitting.

Regards

John
SSGR
SSGR

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Down Trevor Sun 13 Apr 2014, 5:29 pm

Have solved the problem. Steve has said that the spring supplier should have sent 6mm thick springs- instead they sent 1/4 inch thickness. The small difference is enough to cause problems. The fix suggested by Steve of STW is to modify the clamps at the top to accept the excess -or- leave out the lower leaf. Am planning to take the former solution.
Trevor

Old Down Trevor

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Sun 13 Apr 2014, 5:38 pm

Thanks for lettign us all no that information, ill keep an eye on that when i get round to test fitting my rear springs
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Fri 27 Jun 2014, 8:48 pm

Ive had no problems with the 4 studs on the axle box or the center bolt, the only problem i had which thanks to help from forum members and Steve at STW have been able to fix, the problem was i found the top 2 springs to be to long and looks rather odd with a large amount sticking out one side of the slipper mounts and not a lot on the other, using a grinder and a cutting disk i have chopped 20mm off each side of the springs so now all sits well and looks good

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Fri 27 Jun 2014, 10:07 pm

I did the same with mine Russ. I left out one spring as well and everything fitted. Mind you the chain is not connected yet so there may be a problem when I tension it up, which bit broke Tom?

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  atomenter Sat 28 Jun 2014, 8:56 am

Hi Mike
I have attached a pic of the broken adjusting arrangement.  The brazing just came apart when I was tightening it after adjusting the chain.  Rebrazed it and it has been alright since.
4 1/2 inch SWB rear leaf springs Img_0910

Regards
Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Sat 28 Jun 2014, 10:13 am

Thanks Tom I will keep an eye on them.
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Sat 28 Jun 2014, 6:42 pm

Thanks for that Tom i shall also keep an eye on mine once i start to adjust the rear axle

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down