Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ifor William Trailer and new winch

+6
sonick45
NorfolkModelSteam
Robfishman
Tim Watson
MrStationHouse
lynnr
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  Empty Ifor William Trailer and new winch

Post  lynnr Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:11 am

Hi All

Just in case you maybe interested. I am designing and building a new winch mount for my Ifor Williams LM104 trailer.
I started last night with the production of the winch plate within Solidworks. So once the rest of the mount is designed if anyone wants a set of drawings just let me know.

The design will be capable of either bolt together or weld. It will use standard steel sections so no fancy cutting or fitting needed.

The winch I am using is a Warrior ATV3500. But mounting plates of different hole pitch can be designed in. I have a Optima Yellow Top battery for the winch and I plan mounting the battery within the winch mount for neatness and security. Cut off switch will be mounted in the frame as well.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  Empty Re: Ifor William Trailer and new winch

Post  MrStationHouse Wed 01 Jul 2015, 5:37 pm

Hi Lynn

How have you got on with the warrior winch, would you recommend it? I need to fit a winch and it is a good place to start.

Also how about the battery, does it hold its charge ok? do you just take it off to charge?

Thanks for your help

Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  Empty Re: Ifor William Trailer and new winch

Post  lynnr Wed 01 Jul 2015, 6:14 pm

Hi Simon

The winch is first class. Does everything it needs to do without struggling. It is also small in form. I have taken the solenoid box off the motor and put it inside the A frame under the battery. So only 2 wires go up to motor and I now have a cover on the winch with only the fairlead open. No rain or crud in winch while driving or stationary. Control is by an optional extra addon of wireless remote. Allows easy out spool on power and good control while winching Crystal backwards up the ramps in to her pram. I also sometimes use to pull the wagons up as well if the ramps are wet, or the wagon extra heavy.  The winch drum has a small diameter and the gearing is good to keep a slow wire speed and is auto braked so no roll back what so ever.

The battery is doing very well. I have installed a gray towing socket to charge battery while driving. During rally season the battery stays put. Only ever gets charged when going to and from events. Mind my closest event is 110 miles each way! If not using for an extended time I stick a mains charger, C-tek MSX5, on the battery and it keeps it in tip top condition as you can leave on all the time.

The larger battery in the garage for the driveway winch also has the C-tek on it basically all the time except during winch use. Big warn 9800 bolted down in the back of the garage to winch Crystal up the drive when out of steam. About a 1:7 ish slope and over 50ft long. Also used to winch the iffor trailer up as well.

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  0B107BF6-BA4D-47DB-B452-C735D0D73AE9_zps8mnelkaw

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  AEC7A7CE-3D95-4D71-B52E-21B18F9C4358_zpscre80p72

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  0348552F-C8FB-4498-A5DD-4617AA7838AA_zps75orzj8y

The garage installation

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  6ff70adcb049c37ed10eafb9bf87157c_zps3bce5619
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Wed 01 Jul 2015, 7:00 pm

Helpful as ever thanks Lynn. Will order one straight away, what size battery did you go for?

One other question -do you get on ok with the winch centrally mounted and putting the engine on one side and the trailers on the other?

Much appreciated
Simon

MrStationHouse

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 01 Jul 2015, 7:52 pm

Hi

Battery from Here

Winch from Here

I use a pulley block from Here.

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  70821C00-6BFD-48B0-9F3B-C2B9EA6F04EB_zpstk3vkfwk

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  F729C84D-F1A3-4641-98E6-28ADD101488D_zps8jcftvcl

This is attached to the cargo track embedded in the trailer.

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  DPP_0003_zpsc4267d1b

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  DPP_0002_zps1f980011

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  DPP_0001_zps5f04f794

She is the other way round now but you get the idea.

This keeps the wire on the winch center line so does a good spool when pulling Crystal up with the offset. I use the closest tow point to the trailer center line when rigged up, Crystal goes on backwards now. Better balance with everything else and get more space at the front of the trailer as the engine sits further to the back, the front of the canopy is 2" of the rear cover. Using the engine front tow hitch with bottle screws and chain to secure.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Wed 01 Jul 2015, 8:36 pm

Brilliant thanks - that 48ah battery is that the one you bought?

MrStationHouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:15 pm

I would strongly recommend a nylon winch rope: much safer to use. I have also found the radio control for the winch a boon.  I use the winch to pull the trailer back into its parked position at home via a snatch block and loop set into the floor at the back.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:22 pm

Interesting - what makes it safer?

What size battery do you have Tim

MrStationHouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:05 pm

It doesn't store energy like a wire rope and spools much better. Not sure on battery, but probably 48Ah. I use a solar panel to keep it topped up. The Warrior winch would probably work well on an aircraft carrier.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:12 pm

Thanks Tim, that makes sense, I was looking at a solar panel to keep it topped up, do you have just the panel ? I was wondering if I needed a controller?

Do you think the Warrior winch is too big then?

MrStationHouse

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:34 pm

The main concern with winch wire is if it breaks the steel wire holds a lot of potential energy when under load and synthetic does not. So IF it was to snap the wire will backlash and MIGHT cause injury. Synthetic basically drops dead with little rope causing injury. But your load is still heading south either way.

I am use to wire and it behaviour. Yes I have had a winch wire singing under load during a demonstration. The wire was then cut by a shaped charge to get a backlash in to "analogue" legs. Quite serious injury.

if you are loading quite high then you would drop a coat or blanket over the wire and if very long winch pull a couple or more. This will kill the potential energy very effectively upon catastrophic cable failure.

The forces on a cable pulling the engine up in to the trailer are very much within the lower 30% of the max safe working load. Also remember it is up a slope but has little rolling resistance. Yes synthetic has over double the SWL per diameter but has to be handled with more care. Strand chaffing is more problematic also contamination like being spooled wet or getting wet causing mould to form, problematic to health by airborne spores. Yes wire will corrode but can be proofed by lubrication. Both will wear out and require changing at some point. If in doubt - replace.

It's a debate that has and will go on for years.

Golden rule. Treat ALL winch activity with respect and instill safe practice. Mitigate possible risk. Like during the "heavy" portion of winching up in to th trailer. I am outside at the side of the trailer diagonally opposite the winch wire with the engine and the heavy tarpaulin side and trailer side panels are between us as well. When the engine is rear wheel crested I do move inside to steer but the loads at that point are a fraction of the peak. I can push the wire to the floor or sideways by hand easily. And there is less than 4ft of wire off spool.

It's up to you.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:36 pm

The little ATV 3500 winch is for on the trailer.
My battery is the one shown directly from the link. It also powers other things while camping.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 20 Aug 2016, 3:55 pm

Hi Lynn

Hope you're well.

I'm looking to buy a trailer and wondered what your trailer bed size is. It seems the LM104 may have been discontinued as its not in the catalogue and I can't find the tech spec on line

Many thanks

Rob.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 20 Aug 2016, 7:10 pm

Hi Rob. 

Think you want this link. LM105 still on the books. 

http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/flatbed/lt-and-lm/?tab=spec#tab

10x5.5ft twin axial. Spring for the 8ft Aluminium ramps as makes loading so much easier. Angles etc.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 20 Aug 2016, 7:37 pm

Thanks Lynn I suspected that would be the one. New car gets delivered in two weeks then I'll get it ordered.

Thanks also for the info on the ramps, was going for the galv steel, but will change to the Alu
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 20 Aug 2016, 8:57 pm

Oh forgot. 
Put an electric winch on with wireless remote. Hand crank is ok but a lot of work if by yourself.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Wed 16 May 2018, 6:44 pm

Hi Lynn, do you have a picture of your engine and wagons on the trailer? I’m building the roller, have a wagon on order and need to start thinking about how I’m going to transport it all!

NorfolkModelSteam

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 16 May 2018, 8:02 pm

I do someplace. Just need to find them.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 17 May 2018, 10:51 am

Hi

This is the only one I can lay to at the moment

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  IPhone%205c_17436_zps26gqvkfe

Crystal and all her bits is a tight fit. She is on with 1/4" space to the side panels. The wagons are about 1" from the back wheel and about 1/2" off the side panel of the trailer. The roller is definitely thinner and a lot shorter so the LM105 10x5.5ft will easily fit a roller etc. If you only have 1 trailer you would even get away with the 8ft x 5.5ft.

lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Thu 17 May 2018, 7:21 pm

I hope you dont mind Lynn... found these...

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  Df7c5109ad103507e7f68fe6467b18a3_zps121b73cc
Ifor William Trailer and new winch  95e685521bcabf78237b3f118a9271d2_zps447ddff6
Ifor William Trailer and new winch  7c9bf6dc123317894d754e15cf9576ac_zps580289c1
Ifor William Trailer and new winch  175e4f7bf478244649f9d9c1736c29ef_zps4ce6fdb3

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 17 May 2018, 8:10 pm

Thats them

Although the engine is round the other way facing backwards as the balance is better and position allows the water cart to sit behind the engine at the front corner of the trailer.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Fri 18 May 2018, 10:03 am

Thank you! That certainly give me a a good idea! I’m going to Bloxham next month so Hoping for plenty of advise on everything!

NorfolkModelSteam

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-10-15

Back to top Go down

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  Empty Trailers-Hazelwood

Post  Revolving Fri 18 May 2018, 5:11 pm

I have built an STW 6" Foden, finished 2 years ago, and looked at some trailers to transport it. Eventually went to Hazelwood trailers near Evesham In Worcestershire http://hazlewoodtrailers.co.uk/
They are a small firm and couldnt have been more helpful. They built me a suitable trailer to my specific needs at a very reasonable price.
The 6" Foden has quite a low ground clearance and it is important the leading edge of the front water tank clears the ramp hump when loading/unloading. The trailer came with an electric winch

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  ETzw8P

Revolving

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 10 Mar 2019, 2:38 pm

Well after having had the trailer for a few years now. I finally got fed up with moving the spare wheel around. So finally settled on a new bracket on the front of the trailer

Ifor William Trailer and new winch  IMG_5408_zps5tkywpev

The wheel is spaced off slightly so the canvas is not trapped or rubbing. It also makes the empty trailer slightly nose heavy so makes manual moving easier as by lifting the jockey wheel up the rear set of wheels lift off the ground to make easy manoeuvring.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Grant Sun 10 Mar 2019, 8:29 pm

Lynn,

What size is your turnbuckle and chains that you use for securing? I'm thinking they would need to be 8mm or 10mm.

Regards

Alan

Alan Grant

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next