Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Somerset Foden 6"

+3
burrell1
lynnr
Ptolomy
7 posters

Go down

The Somerset Foden 6" Empty The Somerset Foden 6"

Post  Ptolomy Sat 28 Sep 2013, 10:10 pm

[img]The Somerset Foden 6" Img_0013[/img][img]The Somerset Foden 6" Img_0012[/img]

Thought I would post a couple of pics of my foden (minus the tanks). Still got bits to do but I'm getting there. Took then a few weeks ago so things have moved on a bit.

Ptolomy

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-14

Back to top Go down

The Somerset Foden 6" Empty Re: The Somerset Foden 6"

Post  lynnr Sun 29 Sep 2013, 7:53 am

Looking good. Like the chocolate brown on the chassis.
You do not have much space to work in the container.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

The Somerset Foden 6" Empty Colour scheme

Post  burrell1 Sun 29 Sep 2013, 8:58 am

Good to see the progress on your lorry and I hope that the tank will be fitted soon and slowly forgotten about.  I like the colour of your lorry chassis, its good to see a different colour, what colour are you going to paint the body work?  (Mine is going to have a red chassis with a green body)  Work on my smoke box and chimney has been slow due to holidays and steam rallies.  As the parts are now being painted I should be able to post some pictures soon.

Bill

burrell1

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  martinj Sun 29 Sep 2013, 9:50 am

Looking good. Is your inspiration for the colour scheme one of these?

The Somerset Foden 6" C_type10

The Somerset Foden 6" Bus10

The Somerset Foden 6" 6_whee10

Martin

martinj

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Ptolomy Sun 29 Sep 2013, 2:57 pm

The coachwork is going to be midnight blue (at least that's what I've planned) with cream stringing (similar to the bottom picture)and maybe cream lettering but the jury is out on the lettering. I'm going on the Carter signwriting course in January to learn how to do it although I do have a bit of experience.

Whe I set out my plans for the Foden I was intending to tie it in with my ancestry. My great-grandparents lived in Hook near Goole in what was then the East Riding of Yorkshire. My great grandfather owned an apple orchard and produced apples to sell locally. I have a photo from 1905 of my grandparents wedding in front of his barn and there were lots of apple barrels. So I am thinking of putting chains on the flatbed with half size apple barrels which I have already sourced. and putting his name on the coachwork. The barn was sadly demolished just before I could take some pictures of it and go inside it a few years ago but the orchard is still there.

I thought I might take the Foden up there when its finished and take some photos of it in front of the orchard.

I cant wait to drive it. I have driven the full size and loved it (although it does get a bit hot as you are right in front of the fire-box.

Ptolomy

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-14

Back to top Go down

The Somerset Foden 6" Empty Foden 6"

Post  atomenter Sun 29 Sep 2013, 6:32 pm

Hi there
Nice looking engine,
I can vouch for the heat whilst driving.  My 41/2" gets extremely hot around the feet!!.  During the winter, one mod I will do is to drill lots more holes in the sides of the footwell to let some more air in.  This might be worth considering before you get too much of the painting done.
Regards

Tom A
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Mon 30 Sep 2013, 12:03 am

I was thinking ahead about that problem Tom, maybe a heat-shield of some kind in front of the feet to make it tenable when driving. I have some boiler lagging blanket from doing my 3" engine that sandwiched between two sheets of ally would do the job. It certainly needs a pair of fireproof trousers or overalls.

As an aside what do you think about lagging a 4 1/2" Foden boiler? I have heard from several sources that 'double-high' engines use more coal so anything that makes them more efficient has to be good, especially with the limited bunkerage on a short wheelbase engine. There is space for 6mm Tulipwood, foil and 20 gauge cleading, with extra space above the firebox for a layer of blanket.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:59 pm

I'd use Stainless rather than Alloy. Alloy is quite a good conductor of heat, whereas stainless definitely isn't!
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Fri 04 Oct 2013, 6:42 pm

Good point, thanks for that.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Back to top Go down

Post  atomenter Fri 04 Oct 2013, 7:46 pm

Mike
Regarding lagging the Foden boiler, I haven't given it any thought and I haven't seen one that has been done. Given the availability of coal at rallies and the limited miles that I have driven it hasn't been a problem. I have always managed to carry enough coal.
Regards
Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Sat 05 Oct 2013, 12:58 am

I am building an artic Tom so I don't have the luxury of the extra top tanks, thus any spare space is going to needed for water and making it more thermally efficient will use less of the coal I haven't got much room for. I had thought to hang a tank under the trailer chassis disguised as the wooden locker/toolbox often seen on lorries of that era. Also I have spent the last few years trying to get an un-lagged 3" engine to fire up and stay fired. It will be so nice to get round a field on a couple of shovels of coal without having to stop and re-build the fire every 50 yards.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down