Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G D S F !!!!!!!

+5
bjwlancashire
tractor mike
MrStationHouse
storey
highpressure
9 posters

Go down

G D S F !!!!!!! Empty G D S F !!!!!!!

Post  highpressure Fri 23 Aug 2013, 5:21 pm

Whoooo Hoooooo!!!!!!! Finished for the weekend, now getting ready for the Dorset experience cheers cheers cheers 

sunny sunny sunny I have a good feeling about this years show, we had a bad one last year and the current weather doesn't look too bad for the forthcoming week.

Going in Monday morning with The Coleman and a. n. other mate so we can split the firing/driving. Confident the engine will behave, if not there will be plenty of people who know to help out and hopefully the bits will be with us or we can buy.

Will be up and down the playpen a lot so come a say hello, might remember the camera, or might just be having too much fun bounce bounce 
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

G D S F !!!!!!! Empty Thanks!

Post  storey Sun 01 Sep 2013, 10:20 am

Hi Kevin,

It was a real pleasure meeting you and seeing His Majesty up close. Thanks for all your advice regarding the painting and the run up and down the play pen. It's a magnificent engine!

Paul

storey

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2013-07-08

Back to top Go down

G D S F !!!!!!! Empty Re: G D S F !!!!!!!

Post  MrStationHouse Sun 01 Sep 2013, 7:15 pm

The family had the day at the Steam Fair yesterday and it was as good as ever. I managed to catch up with Kevin for a few minutes and suffice it to say the dust on the site was driving him mad. One trip through the playpen had covered a previously immaculate engine.

Later in the afternoon, he was demonstrating the pulling power of the engine by towing a 6" Road Loco. I was too far away to catch him going up the hil but managed to get the last bit. For those who can't get to the steam fair I will be posting some more vids over the next few days.

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 01 Sep 2013, 7:24 pm

Thanks Simon and Paul, very enjoyable to speak to so many complinetary people and to help in their decsion to commit to a build. Very pleased you caught the hill climb on video, I will favourite it later. It was quite a special moment there, not only was it a 6" engine but lined exactly as mine so was quite sight for the crowds at the side!!! We only just made the pull, at 2.8 tons the load worked HMs nuts off, to the point where we melted the powder coat again!!!! But how cool Cool Cool Cool to do that up the playpen on Saturday afternoon. Once I have recovered and gathered my thoughts I will post a "post Dorset" review.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 02 Sep 2013, 5:33 pm

I will start off by saying what a great week we have just had, a very big thanks to Andy "The Coleman" and Al for support crew with countless cups of tea and offers of cleaning and plenty of driving and a superb range of meals every night!! Who says men cant survive on their own?? Question The weather was almost too good, the dust is almost mind bending!!! Evil or Very Mad The overall feedback was either dust or slurry so we had the better option but it was becoming tedious by Saturday.

G D S F !!!!!!! Img_1110

This is kids and me on the Friday afternoon running down "The Garden Path" as its known, as you can see the dust coming off the main playpen is unreal and the wind direction was such that it blew straight over us constantly!!! Evil or Very Mad 

G D S F !!!!!!! Img_1111

Gemma commandeered Al's particularly fetching hat which drew admiring comments from the box as we went past!!!

Thanks to all who took the time to come and speak to me, I am glad so many orders were placed having chatted to you all ( Dean the cheque will be made out to K Chambers Razz ) It was great to meet so many new builders and put faces to names on the forum. I apologise to those to got to me on Saturday afternoon, I was suffering from Dorset/Steam burnout by then and the dust was really getting on my nerves!! Next year we will pace ourselves slightly better to have a bit more energy on the last two days.

G D S F !!!!!!! Img_1112

Although taken at home this is the general idea of the state of the engine no mare than 10 minutes after cleaning and one run up the pen!!!!

Highlight has to be the "Big Pull" taking the half size "Black Pearl" up the path on Saturday afternoon, no mean feat weighing in at 2.7 tons!!! Really made the engine sound awesome and hopefully looked good for the public too. Next victim will be a full size GMT when we are in the right place together!!!!

G D S F !!!!!!! Img_1113

Next up was the comment about "bloody kit builders" who buy all the sirens, whistles and now kettles to adorn their engines, I politely mentioned that HM was a kit to which the reply was "no it cant be, is that really a kit??" After a few minutes and repeated confirmations that he was indeed a kit it was conceeded that STW had done a fine job, although the old stigma stills remains to a few!!!!

The showmans are superb at night, as always Dolphin was immaculate and probably the finest example of a showmans engine you will ever see, I certainly wouldn't want to clean that after a run round the pen. The engines going up the big hill at night are a sight to behold, the shower of sparks spewing out of the chimney like a volcano is spectacular!!

Overall it was a great week, lots a very good engines, a great range of sizes and marques represented, lots of fun driving around, lots of compliments about the organ, pity I didn't get an order Crying or Very sad although lots of cards taken and some hopeful enquiries. I will certainly do it again next year but I am very pleased to be in a quiet, clean and peaceful environment for a few weeks!!!!
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

G D S F !!!!!!! Empty G D S F !!!!!

Post  tractor mike Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:03 pm

I would just like to say a great big thank u to mr coleman and kevin for having the time to talk to me and let me find out a few bits I wanted to no about my engine, it was great to meet them both and meet a dirty engine, thanx to steve for having chat as well and it was good to see the 2 finished engines on the stand, hope stw sold lots? what a great week. hopefully we will all catch up again soon
tractor mike
tractor mike

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:26 pm

While were talking dust my daughter Danielle took this picture on her phone, a change of name needed I think. Black(red)beard got dustier sat still on the STW stand - I could not believe how much was on top of the boiler and on the motion either. I hope the apprentice has since been able to get him clean and oiled up again.

G D S F !!!!!!! Blackb10
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 09 Sep 2013, 12:09 am

highpressure wrote:

Highlight has to be the "Big Pull" taking the half size "Black Pearl" up the path on Saturday afternoon, no mean feat weighing in at 2.7 tons!!! Really made the engine sound awesome and hopefully looked good for the public too. Next victim will be a full size GMT when we are in the right place together!!!!

G D S F !!!!!!! Img_1113
Oh how scary is this, I was stood just to the left of this photo HP and saw you pull the half size away, and I'll agree it did make a lovely sound.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

G D S F !!!!!!! Empty GDSF

Post  thehawk Tue 19 Aug 2014, 10:59 pm

I'm looking forward to meeting you all. This will be my first time as an exhibitor after 45 years of paying an entrance fee! (I'm sure my dear old Dad will be smiling from above!) You'll see me on my 4 inch single "Norman Ivor". I should arrive sometime on Monday. cheers guys! - Paul...........
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

G D S F !!!!!!! Empty Ground conditions for this year???

Post  highpressure Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:56 am

Due to circumstances I had to pull out of helping Andy as an exhibitor this year so consequently haven't been yet. I was thinking about going up tomorrow but the local news shows pretty horrific conditions even just getting into the car parks!!! This really isn't my idea of a fun day out before it even starts so can anyone give me a recent update perhaps tonight about how its coping and how easy/difficult it was to get in and out?

Thanks Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Road loco Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:28 am

Hi Kev I was there yesterday and going back tommorrow but I was pulled in and out everyday I been, they had bad weather again lastni but the sun is shinning there now, mike

Road loco

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2014-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Thu 28 Aug 2014, 6:01 pm

Thanks for that, any body been today to give a more recent update, thanks.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Fri 29 Aug 2014, 6:24 am

Very muddy yesterday morning. Dried off enough for the miniatures & eventually the full size to get in the play pen yesterday afternoon/evening. Small shower earlier this morning. Forecast is OK today, probably better conditions on Saturday.

Miniature showman's looked good generating together last night, will hopefully do the same at the top on Saturday.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum