Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Royal Gun Powder Mills Steam Rally Waltham Abbey 18 & 19 May 2013

3 posters

Go down

The Royal Gun Powder Mills Steam Rally Waltham Abbey 18 & 19 May 2013 Empty The Royal Gun Powder Mills Steam Rally Waltham Abbey 18 & 19 May 2013

Post  burrell1 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 5:29 pm

The Steam Rally at the Royal Gun Powder Mills museum is always a good start to any rally season. The rally is held in the grounds of the Gun Powder museum, Waltham Abbey which can be reached a short distance from junction 26 of the M25. This years event is being run by the Railway Volunteer Team at the museum as a Steam Heritage Weekend and will mainly be for miniature traction engines. The site is ideal for steam rallies as it has a large central grassed area which is used for owners to stay overnight on and to run their traction engines on. Also running around this grassed area is a large oval tarmac and concrete roadway which you can spend all day steaming around. There is also an extensive network of roads which run around the site that you are welcome to use. The Royal Gun Powder museum is well worth a visit and we always get well looked after by the Railway Club on site. The only pity about this rally is that it never seems to attract large numbers of visitors. However this would make it a great rally for anybody who wants to test and run a new traction engine. It would be good to see some of our new STW Road loco’s, Showman’s and 4 ½” Foden Lorries at this rally. Booking forms and further information can be obtained from The Royal Gun Powder Mills, Beaulieu Drive, Waltham Abbey, Essex EN9 1JY Telephone number 01992 7 07370.

The Royal Gun Powder Mills Steam Rally Waltham Abbey 18 & 19 May 2013 Img_2510

burrell1

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

The Royal Gun Powder Mills Steam Rally Waltham Abbey 18 & 19 May 2013 Empty Re: The Royal Gun Powder Mills Steam Rally Waltham Abbey 18 & 19 May 2013

Post  Tim Watson Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:55 pm

I have had an invite, but it is ambiguous regarding whether or not exhibitors pay for camping (£25). Last time I was there they supplied Daw Mill coal which is some of the most nauseous sulphurous stuff to burn in a miniature: I vowed I would never use it again as it made me feel quite ill. Also dogs are not allowed, so that makes it unlikely that Max would let me go....

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

The Royal Gun Powder Mills Steam Rally Waltham Abbey 18 & 19 May 2013 Empty Re: The Royal Gun Powder Mills Steam Rally Waltham Abbey 18 & 19 May 2013

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:05 pm

No dogs!!! Then that would count me out if I was close enough to attend. Evil or Very Mad
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

The Royal Gun Powder Mills Steam Rally Waltham Abbey 18 & 19 May 2013 Empty No entry charge

Post  burrell1 Fri 11 Jan 2013, 11:17 am

Thank you Tim for reading the small print on the back of the application form for us all. I have telephoned the Royal Gun Powder Mills this morning and been assured that the entry regarding a cost of £25 was a mistake and only applies to Trade Stands when they run other events at the museum. I also asked about the No Dogs policy and was told that this has always been the museum policy as they have wild deer on the site. I did point out that dogs have been allowed on the site in the past and was told that some traction engine owners had arrived with a dog but as they had been discreet with them they had turned a blind eye. The lady I spoke to was unable to tell me what coal they would be supplying us with this year. Tim, I am sorry if we will not be seeing you or Max at this years rally.

burrell1

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down