Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New 4.5" Foden SWB Builders

4 posters

Go down

New 4.5" Foden SWB Builders Empty New 4.5" Foden SWB Builders

Post  FodenSWB Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:40 am

Hi,
Just thought I would say hi to everyone we are new to the forum and Steam Traction World and for that matter new to building steam engines. We met Dean at the show and are signed up to start building a 4.5" foden SWB. Hopefully with the first kit arriving at the end of october. We are a father and son team of Nick (Son) and Ken(Father), so expect lots of question and requests for advice as the build progresses. In preparation for the arrival of the first kit we are frantically sorting out the workshop and should finish building the cyclone extractor for the sand blasting cabinet this weekend and then it's onto clearing up the rest of the workshop in preparation for 2 and a bit years of building a foden which I am assuming will fly by, oh happy days.

Cheers
Nick & Ken

FodenSWB

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-08-31

Back to top Go down

New 4.5" Foden SWB Builders Empty Re: New 4.5" Foden SWB Builders

Post  lynnr Thu 13 Sep 2012, 8:07 am

Hi Ken and Nick

Welcome on board the STW ship. Congratulations on taking the plunge into the murky bathwater of steam engine ownership. I was also a clean bathwater person until I started my showman's 2 years ago and it was also my first adventure in to steam ownership.

You will find everyone on here to be well fed and do not bite (too much). There is quite a lot of friendly banter and a few jokes being shipped overboard at times, but all in good fun.

As I said before. "Buy a traction engine. Get friends for free"

Now having a blasting cabinet. Steady on!! Remember sintered bronze is a magnet to blasting cabinet dust!
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  FodenSWB Fri 14 Sep 2012, 7:52 pm

Cheers Lynnr,
You can never really have two many friends, and hopefully the blasting grit dust wont be a problem as the extraction setup is outside the workshop so hopefully their will not be any dust present apart from a small amount that drops to the floor when I open the door.

Regards
Nick

FodenSWB

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:47 pm

Nick & Ken

I think Lynn has said it all, but welcome. Don't be worried about asking questions, no matter how daft. I've hit one or two snags in my build yet there has always been someone here with the answers and advise on where I have gone wrong and how to get over the problem.

Good luck and don't forget to keep us posted on progress.

Kind regards.

Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  atomenter Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:08 am

Hi Nick and Ken
Hope that you have as much fun and success as I had during the build. I have kept a diary of my build, with various challenges and their solutions (still ongoing) and I should be able to help with any problems that you come across.
All the best and happy building

Tom A
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down