Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry

+23
phil gomez
hartshaulage
ejparrott
highpressure
SSGR
mikero
atomenter
Hecter
martinj
iain
Brian M
Steam Traction World
Tony King
Tim Watson
HStannard
Dan
lynnr
bjwlancashire
MrStationHouse
hippy dave
IanL
Robfishman
burrell1
27 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Brake shoes & JB Weld

Post  burrell1 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 2:32 pm

Yes, I did use JB Weld as suggested and it did a good job. It's the first time that I have used it and I think I will be using it again. When using it to attach the friction material it was a bit of a learning curve for me. On one of the brake shoes I used rather too much and it leaked through the holes in the shoe and needed to be cleaned off. I also found that I needed a lot of g-clamps to hold the material in place as it is stiff to bend. I was glad that I did two shoes at a time rather than attempting to do all four at once.

Bill

burrell1

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Re: Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry

Post  iain Mon 18 Feb 2013, 3:32 pm

How many tubes did you get through? I was thinking a couple should do it?

Not got the shoes painted yet but like to have everything ready in case I get a few days on it.

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  burrell1 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 5:42 pm

I used 2 1/2 tubes but as I said I used too much weld. I think that 2 tubes should do all four shoes and the band.

Bill

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Post  martinj Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

Bill

By "2 tubes" do you mean 1 pack of 2 28g tubes? Seems to be the most readily available form for around £5.

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Jb_wel10

There is a catering pack of 2 X 142g tubes also available but I presume you would need to be going for mass production to need that amount!

Martin

martinj

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty JB Weld

Post  burrell1 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:27 pm

Martin

I am sorry for the confusion. I used two of the packs shown in your photo, which I got for £4.65 each postage free from e-bay.

Bill

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Post  martinj Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:45 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful.

martinj

Back to top Go down

Post  iain Tue 19 Feb 2013, 9:36 am

The same price as I've just got them for so no doubt the same place. Need to do some more painting!

iain

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Rear brakes progress

Post  burrell1 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 5:45 pm

Progress on my lorry has been slow this week as it has been too cold to work but I have managed to attach the friction material to all of the brake shoes. I have today fitted the brake shoes to the rear axle but have had difficulty re-fitting the rear wheels as they are too tight a fit between the brake drum and friction material. In the instructions Steve said that he had to remove some of the friction material on one of the control models which would appear to be my problem. This looks like being a very minor problem but I am going to contact Steve next week just to confirm the area that should be removed. I will then post the outcome of this advice.

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9214

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9215

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Post  martinj Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:05 pm

Bill

In my mispent youth working in a village garage during the school holidays I remember the guys sometimes filing a small bevel on the outside edges of brake linings so that either the drum slipped on easily (OK, maybe with a bit of persuasion) or if it jammed it left a mark to show where the highspots were. My guess is that the variation in thickness of JB weld will lead to us each having to trim different areas.

Have you chemically blacked your drive sprocket?

Looking very smart and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Martin

martinj

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Drive sprocket

Post  burrell1 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:22 pm

Martin

I decided to paint my drive sprocket with heat proof (BBQ paint) just to stop it going rusty. I know that it will be covered in oil or grease when the lorry is completed but I did not want to have to clean rust off it when we come to fit the chain. Probably when the lorry is being driven the chain will remove some of the paint but I think that it will still look good.

Talking of looking good I like the pictures of your lorry. It's good to see other builders progress. I think that somebody has already commented that we have had to do a lot of cleaning and painting of parts so far and I have used a lot of red paint.

Bill

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty A good afternoons work

Post  burrell1 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 5:04 pm

This afternoon I had another go at fitting the brake shoes and then one of the rear wheels to my lorry. I decided that all that was needed was to identify the points at which the brake friction material was binding and to remove it. Once I got started on the task with a flap wheel attached to my angle grinder it was easy, it was just a case of having to be brave and then to make a start. One set of shoes is now fitted and the wheel is back in place. I have not fully secured the rear wheel at the moment as it is possible that it will have to come off again.

Bill

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9216

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Sun 24 Feb 2013, 6:40 pm

Very impressive!!

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Progress on rear brakes

Post  burrell1 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 6:24 pm

I have now managed to fit the second set of rear brake shoes to my lorry. These shoes were, using previous experience, much easier and quicker to fit. Both of the rear wheels have now been returned to the lorry so that it can be moved about if necessary. My next task will be to complete the preparation and painting of the remainding parts of this kit, which consists of the band brake on the rear axle and the brake linkage. I have already attached the friction material to the brake band and have painted it. The bar which can be seen in the picture painted in brown anti corrosion paint and with a red metal block attached to its middle, which runs across between the two sides of the chassis is the brake shaft onto which the rear brakes linkage will be attached. The linkage to the foot control in the cab will also be attached to this block but Steve has decided not to include this linkage yet as he wants to make certain that it does not foul on the water tanks when they are fitted.

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9217

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9218

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Post  iain Mon 04 Mar 2013, 11:43 am

looking really good Smile

Slowly catching up!!

iain

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Band brake

Post  burrell1 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:34 pm

I have not had the chance to do any work on my lorry for the last two weeks because we are having a new conservatory built. Today I set myself the task of fitting the band brake onto the rear axle. The band wheel comes on two parts but is very heavy to manhandle. I rotated the axle so that the key way in the rear axle was at the top and then used a large block of wood to support one half of the wheel in place. I then placed the key into the slot in the axle and fitted the second half of the wheel. In this way I did not need to lift or hold the wheel in place whilst I bolted the two halfs together. The operation went very well and the only problem that I had was tightening up two of the bolts in the wheel, even though I had stubby spanners. I have temporally fitted the brake band and I am planning to complete the fitting of the brake controls in the next couple of days, subject to the weather conditions.

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9310

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9311

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Kit 10 completed

Post  burrell1 Thu 21 Mar 2013, 5:01 pm

I have now managed to complete Kit 10, the rear brakes and brake controls. The rear wheels are now bolted onto the axle although I have not yet attached the hub caps. It was quite difficult to tighten up the wheel bolts and I would suggest the use of a swivel head spanner. I am now looking forward to the next kit arriving, which is the steering and hand brake.

We have already received Ten kits and made one payment for the Boiler. One further payment needs to be made for the Boiler and one for the Cylinder block. This makes 17 kits to go. We have just be told that the next kit will be dispatched before Easter.

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9312

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9313

Last edited by burrell1 on Sun 24 Mar 2013, 10:54 am; edited 3 times in total

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:52 pm

As usual, brilliant pics, which I for one, find very interesting, even though I'm not building a 6" Foden.
Paintwork looks "top notch", well done!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  burrell1 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 10:51 am

Tony

Thank you for your kind comments and I only hope that when my lorry is completed it will at least look half as good as the paint work on your traction engine. Whilst I was waiting for the 6” Foden Lorry project to start I spent a great deal of time following other builder’s projects and really enjoyed them. It’s always good to see what other people are doing as it gives you some interesting ideas and incentive. I hope that your traction engine is coming on well and will soon be in steam.

Bill

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Kit 12 has arrived

Post  burrell1 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 3:17 pm

This is by far the smallest and lightest box we have received so far, which makes a change. I have not had the chance to have a play with the bits yet but they do look interesting and good. I will have a read at the instructions this evening and hope to start work on the kit at the weekend.

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9317

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9318

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Thu 04 Apr 2013, 4:06 pm

Hi Bill,
It might be a small kit, but it ain't half taken some machining before it went in the box!!......... Look forward to seeing pics of progress Very Happy
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Kit 12 test

Post  burrell1 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:10 pm

Having read the instructions for Kit 12 last night I decided that it would be a good idea to try fitting the parts to my lorry before cleaning them for painting. This kit consists of the steering and hand brake assemblies which are bolted next to each other on the nearside chassis rail. In the instructions Steve pointed out that we may have some problems with the alignment of the mounting holes in the chassis rail. Having offered up my steering box to the rail I found that I just needed to elongate two of the hole in the mounting bracket. I was then pleased to be able to fit both the steering box and hand brake assemblies. I have now removed all the parts from the lorry and have started to prepare them for painting, but not before they gave me a good idea of what the lorry will look like when the parts have been painted and re-fitted.

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9319

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9321

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Track rod arm modification

Post  burrell1 Fri 17 May 2013, 11:03 am

My track rod arm arrived back from the factory this morning having been modified. One word of warning, in the parcel is also a modified M12 nut which will be used to attach the ball joint. As I didn’t expect anything else to be enclosed I nearly thrown the parcel and the nut away!! The Track road arm will now just need to be re-painted and then it can be fitted and the steering kit will be completed. This will have to wait until next week as I am off to the Gun Powder Mills Steam Rally this weekend.

Bill

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9610

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Post  iain Fri 17 May 2013, 12:42 pm

Apparently I have a pallet on the drive Shocked

iain

Back to top Go down

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Empty Water tanks

Post  burrell1 Wed 12 Jun 2013, 2:32 pm

I have not been able to do much work on my lorry recently, mainly because I have been on holiday and for the last four weekends I have been at Steam Rallies with my 4” Burrell Traction Engine.  With the return of the modified steering arm I have however been able to complete the steering assembly.  The next task will be to prepare and to fit the water tank.  Both the C Type and the SWB lorries will have two water tanks but the second water tank for the SWB lorry will be incorporated into the rear body work and will be supplied at a later date.  For those people interested in statistics, the total water capacity for the C Type lorry will be 154.5 litres which is over 34 gallons, if my maths is correct.  At the moment the SWB builders have only been supplied with the main tank which is 67 litres.  I am told that the C Type water tanks weighed over 90 Kgs and like the tank for my SWB was delivered on a pallet using a fork lift truck.  One of the main jobs that has now got to be carried out is to clean the inside of the tank and to seal it with POR-15 tank sealer by the time I got mine.  As I received my tank after everybody else the supplier had run out of POR-15.  Thankfully he got a new supply in to-day and I have been able to order some.

Bill

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9810

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9710

Bill's 6" Foden SWB Lorry - Page 3 Img_9711

burrell1

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecter Tue 23 Jul 2013, 10:49 pm

when it came to putting the brake material on for the handbrake did you do anything to the material. ours gets to a point where it feels like its gonna break.

Hecter

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next