Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cnc...ish!

4 posters

Go down

cnc...ish! Empty cnc...ish!

Post  Graeme81 Tue 08 May 2012, 5:58 am

another hobby of mine and something to keep my mind occupied whilst living in th US away from toys back home! set this up but can only turn wood as my neighbors bang on the wall when i turn brass!! Rolling Eyes

cnc
Graeme81
Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

cnc...ish! Empty Re: cnc...ish!

Post  lynnr Tue 08 May 2012, 12:40 pm

Nice one. I got the new Unimat CNC laithe & Milling machine. It went back 2 days later. It could not repeat the same cut within 30 seconds.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Tue 08 May 2012, 5:32 pm

next on the list is to convert an x2 bench mill to cnc, hopefully 4 axis. have been teaching myself g code - not that its even necessary for this kind of hobby stuff with a good cad/cam package. been looking into some solidworks / sprutcam training...
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 08 May 2012, 7:40 pm

Graeme81 wrote:next on the list is to convert an x2 bench mill to cnc, hopefully 4 axis. have been teaching myself g code - not that its even necessary for this kind of hobby stuff with a good cad/cam package. been looking into some solidworks / sprutcam training...

Hope Solidworks training is cheaper over there. £4k + £4.5 for the software
I did look into it as I have Solidworks 2005
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Tue 08 May 2012, 8:55 pm

it works out at about $3k for the training and then the software is discounted once you complete the training. expensive so i will see how the first set of classes go...
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Wed 09 May 2012, 5:57 pm

i know its easy for me to say, but programing by hand (G codes etc.) is really quite easy once you get into it.

at STW we use a basic program format that has a start procedure and end procedure. this more or less stays the same (you change tool numbers and speeds etc) and is written with safety in mind. all you do is add your tool path in the middle.

this is simply repeated for each tool. each tool/section of program starts with an N number (N1 + tool 1 etc) and if something goes wrong the loader can safely re-start the program from any of these "N's" and the machine will be safe.

although different machines use different methods the "g-code" is simple

i would be happier to learn and understand it rather than rely on a computer generated system, it makes you much efficient. then move onto the other stuff afterwards.

craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Wed 09 May 2012, 9:12 pm

have been doing some g code manual data input ie when i want to move the x or z axis to an exact location for starting a program - will need to read up and learn a bit more tho for the more complicated operations. i am also working on a spindle feedback for threading operations.
this is more for the learning experience than anything else - at the end of the day its still 3 inch swing watch makers lathe.
the interesting thing about this particular lathe is the whole spindle / motor etc can be removed and added to a milling bar and vise attcahed to the compound and you have a mini milling machine!
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 10 May 2012, 4:39 pm

Hi Graeme,

Have a look at the 'STW DEVELOPMENTS' page on the forum and you will see the latest toy we ordered today.

Needless to say we didn't attempt to make it ourselves.

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Thu 10 May 2012, 9:21 pm

....not a patch on my machine - not even in the same league altho if you really wanted to swap i could be persuaded Twisted Evil
will this help with machining the bits for the 6inch agricultural then?! Very Happy
all joking aside congrats very capable piece of equipment, showing reinvestment in the company and its being put to good use...making steam engines!
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum