Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frederick SRL(S)

+26
LiveSteam
He Who Must Not Be Blamed
the governer
Brian M
ChriX
Heavyhaul
MrStationHouse
HStannard
Kiwiconnection
Steam Traction World
the coleman
ejparrott
SSGR
Adam Brown
Kevster
highpressure
mikero
Flasback
bjwlancashire
Richard
lynnr
IanL
Steve Traill
Robfishman
Tony King
Tim Watson
30 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty Re: Frederick SRL(S)

Post  highpressure Thu 27 Dec 2012, 9:29 pm

Brian, would be interested to see that mod for use with the roof, it will look complete with it, perhaps a picture or two on your thread to keep things together and not interfere with "Frederick". Of course if involves altering the roof at construction stage I have sadly been too quick!! But might be able to accomodate something.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Thu 27 Dec 2012, 10:01 pm

Tim,
I totally agree with comments made already, simply stuning...............A gold medal for you me thinks cheers
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:22 am

A work of art!
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty No more wheel painting!

Post  Tim Watson Tue 01 Jan 2013, 11:41 pm

I do not want to see another showman's wheel and spoke rivets for a while, having just lined out the two front wheels for Frederick. Couldn't get a decent view in the workshop so took a couple of 'arty' shots with the iPhone.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0318

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0319

In theory the green and red chords of a circle at the rim should be on both sides of the wheels, but I gave up the will to live to do them on the inside. I made a plastic jig for doing the outside ones, as for the rear wheels: they needed doing twice as I wasn't happy with their proportions in relation to the snakes tongues at the end of the spokes. All the wheels now need is varnishing.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Wed 02 Jan 2013, 9:03 am

Tim, you have so much patience & it shows in the amazing results you have posted....... "Absolutely stunning"!!
regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty Let there be light: or some anyway

Post  Tim Watson Thu 03 Jan 2013, 12:52 am

Fitted my RA Barker King of the Road lamps to the dynamo bracket tonight. These could have been mounted down on the perch bracket, but might have been wasted down there. They'll be a lot easier to clean up here next to the olivers. I may opt for a different pattern down the bottom, more suited to road use or returning from the beer tent late at night.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0320

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 03 Jan 2013, 2:05 am

Look very nice but a bit odd up so high
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Thu 03 Jan 2013, 7:15 am

Agreed. Not so common to have them located in this position in preservation. There are pictures of them at the front in working days. I'm inclined to move them further back and down the dynamo bracket, as per General Gough.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty Time for a brew up!

Post  Tim Watson Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:43 am

Fitted the windermere kettle today. The kettle valve is fed first from the blower outlet with a T piece and a pipe going to the bottom of the kettle. The blower valve is then next in line.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0321

The assembly was silver soldered together and is quite robust, I have used chemical blacking on the unions and valve bodies. The kettle sits on a small steel bracket held in place with one of the dynamo extension bolts, whilst the kettle has a stud and nut fixing through the bottom. The exhaust feeds directly up the chimney: this needs a bit more work on it to fix it properly to the chimney itself.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0322

The valves are designed to line up with the holes in the exciter bracket. It should be a simple job to take off the kettle and associated plumbing, as it was with the set up on 'Madeline': this new assembly should enable the engine to travel with the kettle attached as it is somewhat better engineered.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0323

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Brown Mon 07 Jan 2013, 12:14 pm

Looking very smart. The lamps perhaps only look a little odd as there isn't a canopy. When thats in place I'd wager it'll look 'bang on'. A really stunning engine this one - I look forward to seeing it out and about later in the year

Adam Brown

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Mon 07 Jan 2013, 3:58 pm

Hi Tim,
I agree, when the roof is in place, it'll be fine Very Happy

I've tried to photograph a picture of "DRAGON"....... without much success.......However, you might be able to see the lights are exactly as yours are!!

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Te119

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Te220

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Te318

Mighty fine lamps by the way!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Mon 07 Jan 2013, 4:08 pm

Thanks Tony.
I knew I'd seen one like it recently. Save me having to shift to new brackets, at least for the time being.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty Frederick at Ally Pally

Post  Tim Watson Fri 18 Jan 2013, 4:46 pm

After some very late night working on the motion covers and other bits, I delivered Frederick to Ally Pally last night, just before they closed at 1900. The precision of the fit of the motion cover stars was outstanding!

Colin's engine was under wraps - but I had a peek underneath - and very nice it looks too with some fancy boiler bands! Took a snap of Frederick with the phone (the colours look a bit odd in the artificial lighting). Not sure how many people will make the journey this w/e - I hope the roads are OK for getting the engines back on Sunday night. The engine certainly filled my little Ifor Williams BV84 box trailer. If possible I will take it over a weigh bridge on Monday morning to get a measure of the weight.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0410

Now I need to concentrate on finishing the cylinder covers and the fittings associated with the cylinder.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:27 pm

Your engine looks outstanding Tim.
I wish I could get to Ally Pally to see some of the exhibits...... I used to go every year when I lived in Chelmsford, but, not been since I moved to Bonny Scotland in 2000.
Paradoxicaly, we have very little snow here at the moment! I hope the weather doesn't interupt the Exhibition for all you people lucky enough to be going!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  SSGR Fri 18 Jan 2013, 7:00 pm

Great to see Frederick in the flesh today. A very impressive build. Well done.

John
SSGR
SSGR

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:30 am

Tony King wrote:Your engine looks outstanding Tim.
I wish I could get to Ally Pally to see some of the exhibits...... I used to go every year when I lived in Chelmsford, but, not been since I moved to Bonny Scotland in 2000.
Paradoxicaly, we have very little snow here at the moment! I hope the weather doesn't interupt the Exhibition for all you people lucky enough to be going!!
Regards,
Tony

After 2 hours waiting at Rugby station while trains were cancelled and delayed, I've given up and come back home...not worth getting stuck tonight. It had started snowing again, but it didn't come to anything in the end.
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty Good photo a Ally Pally

Post  Tim Watson Mon 21 Jan 2013, 11:42 pm

Harry Wilkes took this excellent picture of Frederick at AP.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 P1010410

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty curvy bits

Post  Tim Watson Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:30 pm

Some of the SRLs had a curved offside motion cover: the engine I am loosely copying had such. So this was fitted. I also added a bit of brass at the bottom towards the cylinder, which came from the unused beading on the left hand cover. This was tricky as it has a curve and a simultaneous twist in it. When I take the cover off next I may fettle the joint a bit better.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0415

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty Looking good

Post  Steve Traill Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:43 pm

Shame I couldn't get up for the show, the weather was dire, still is in places, just rain down here mostly! Your engine is looking superb, many hours of toil in the workshop I'm sure! Just finished lining Deans wheels so will pop the jig back in the post, it did a great job with the rim lines, thanks for that. Once I've put the lacquer on I'll post a couple of pics.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty Running on air

Post  Tim Watson Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:44 pm

Frederick was linked up to the compressor this evening after blanking off a few holes. The engine ran at 10-20 PSI with the poor old compressor flat out.

Video link below
https://youtu.be/uKx0gdZAdw0

Tim

Last edited by Tim Watson on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Post video)
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty Running in steam

Post  Tim Watson Sat 16 Mar 2013, 10:13 pm

After chasing a few leaks working under compressed air, I decided that it was time to get a fire in Frederick. I am away Stateside all of next week and wanted to know that the engine would be good for running over the Easter holidays.

By the time I had got the engine in a condition for firing it was getting dark and had started to rain. We ended up with a parasol and a jury rigged sheet over the garage doors to keep the rain off: crazy really.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0411
(Apologies for poor photo)

I used only wood to fire up - it is easier to stop the fire with wood than than with coal. With the miserable damp weather putting a plug of cold air at the front end and the sweating of the new boiler, the fire was distinctly tardy to get going. I tried putting the compressor hose into the ash pan which was moderately successful, but then had a flash of inspiration: The steam output from the Windermere kettle has a small pipe and connection into the chimney. I simply held the compressor pipe onto this and hey presto we had a blower at work. After a few moments of this the fire never looked back.

The engine ran well, but a few leaks will need attending to. Not sure the lubricator is delivering enough oil yet, but, all in all, a relief: I can now travel to the States knowing that Frederick does what it says on the tin!

YouTube link below:
https://youtu.be/AMkpolAO-G4

Tim

Last edited by Tim Watson on Sun 17 Mar 2013, 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 16 Mar 2013, 10:22 pm

Looking good. What pressure were you running as you appeared to have slow speed with quite a large opening on the regulator?

For firing at the house in poor conditions or with short chimney I put a small hole in the temporary chimney extension and hung the air duster gun in the hole with the nozzle pointing upwards. i then put masking tape on the trigger and turned the pressure down on the compressor. This also works well as a blower. I also found that holding the air gun at the top of the chimney with a 30 to 50 degree angle would also draw the fire nicely if you are in a rush to rescue it.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sun 17 Mar 2013, 6:45 am

We only got up to about 40 psi maximum. Tha video was probably filmed with the engine running at 20 psi: however, I don't think the regulator is set correctly just yet. Not much passes hawke eye Lynn!

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:29 pm

Tim

Great to see Frederic come alive, I also ran Blackbeard at low pressures initially. My lubricator seemed to provide lots of oil judging by the state of the HP cylinder when I stripped it down. I managed to get the fire going just with a 4ft extension on the chimney and a light breeze on the day.

How was the timing? I am sure you will adjust this again once you get Frederic up to working pressure to allow for further expansion of the boiler etc..

Enjoy your trip to the US, I just got back from a week their yesterday myself. Also got the chance to drive a Ford Mustang, Shelby Cobra version - V8 and over 500 hp. Not steam I know but an American icon.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Empty Frederick sight-glass oilers & second steaming

Post  Tim Watson Sat 30 Mar 2013, 7:51 pm

Fitted the sight-glass oilers to Frederick yesterday and modified the knurled knob on the lubricator to give it a little handle. This makes it much easier to see if the lubricate is turning and allows you to pump some oil in much more easily and quickly than with the knob - I engraved an arrow on it so that the direction of rotation is obvious.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0412

The sight-glass oilers are available from Melvin Brigginshaw (01462 451341) and the six oilers that I have were a very reasonable price considering the amount of work in them (four for the motion, one for the governor and one for the water pump drive). The slide bar oilers have a special adapter plate to fit the slide bar profile. The oilers are designed to be filled up without re-setting the valve, using a Reilang oil can with a modified fine tip: which is also needed for my crankshaft oilers. I had to slightly shorten the governor oiler to clear the balls, but I'm sure Melvin will adapt the production run accordingly. The high pressure valve spindle oiler nicely clears the outer governor lay shaft pulley and is easier to fill than the STW arrangement.

I steamed Frederick again today. Chased down a few more leaks beforehand, but then found a few more - seem to have problems with the pressure gauge valve. With a strong coal fire, the safeties blew off at 170 psi, so I'll tighten them down a touch. The water pump worked well (although it needs better packings) and the injector was OK but dithered a little bit. The regulator was not set correctly but, all-in-all, the engine ran well.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0414

Four generations of Frederick:
Timothy Frederick
Alexander Frederick
Charles Frederick
& Frederick in the foreground.

Frederick SRL(S) - Page 3 Img_0415

Video

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next