Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Isoflex?

+3
bjwlancashire
lynnr
Dan
7 posters

Go down

Any Isoflex? Empty Any Isoflex?

Post  Dan Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:40 pm

Craig/Steve/Dean/STW

Dry built my first wheel - all ok.... BUT ONE RIVET NUT WASN'T THREADED. I nearly cancelled my build - I was devastated..... not!!!! Easily sorted that one out Basketball

So then, so far, so good but reading ahead and the insructions talks of rubber solution and rubber primer to glue the wheel on. All I have is the threadlock and another tiny blue bottle - an adhesive, I think. Do I just use that to glue the wheels on?

First kit is really good fun. Thanks!

Dan

Any Isoflex? Photo10

Last edited by Dan on Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Get the picture round the right way !)
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

Any Isoflex? Empty Re: Any Isoflex?

Post  lynnr Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:12 am

Hi Dan

Nice to see you.

You will have two small blue with white cap bottles. One is high strength and the other is bearing if I remember correctly.
You use one to lock the nuts on the rivet bolts and the other to hold the bearings in the hub.

Iso-Flex is actually a roofing material that can be got from most DIY centres. It is a liquid rubber compound used to seal flat roofs. As per the instructions clean and score both the wheel rim and the inside of the rubber ring. The rubber cleaning is very important as there is normally a non stick coating left from the production and this must be removed. I used a grinder disk lightly on mine. The flap wheel you used to clean up the parts would also do.

You will need the main iso-flex and the primer and as they say follow the instructions on the tin. A bottle of the iso-flex thinner is also a must for cleaning you and the surrounding 10ft of the mess at the end. The iso-flex must be stirred and stirred until it is a smooth liquid with no solid mass at the bottom and re-stirred every 5 mins or so.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Any Isoflex? Empty Aha!

Post  Dan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:59 am

As ever Lynn, you are a fountain of knowledge... I'd never heard of Isoflex before! You are right, I can get the rubber solution, primer and cleaner all from my local DIY store. So guess where I'm going tonight? Note to self - search on interweb before asking here Wink

Thanks!

Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

Hi Dan

Looks like you used the stuff in the little blue bottle to stick your wheel to the wooden wall - just like a bluebottle Rolling Eyes

Brian

PS: not quite the foutain of knoledge that Lynn is, but you can rely on me for a bit of sarcasm and there are a few more on here that are a lot worse than me, mostly from Cheshire cheers
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Any Isoflex? Empty Fixed wheel

Post  Dan Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:08 pm

I wondered how long it would be until someone mentioned that Laughing

Now fixed ...
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  busman Mon 28 Nov 2011, 8:17 pm

Isoflex on offer at B & Q £11.98 for 750ml but 2.5 ltr works out cheaper.

busman

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-08-02

Back to top Go down

Any Isoflex? Empty Isoflex in Aus

Post  Tassie Tiger Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:39 am

I found it impossible to buy isoflex in Austalia but however I found a similar product made by Pacific Polymers called Sealex PU-213-V which is a black sticky gooey waterproofing compound. I will give it a go next weekend hopefully and let you know how it goes.
Phil sunny

Tassie Tiger

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaudiaPB Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:51 pm

Does anyone know where I can get the primer from? Got the isoflex no problem but nobody seems to stock the primer, and its a non-home delivery product on the internet. Do I have to use Isoflex primer or is there another product that will do just as well? Thank for any advice!!

ClaudiaPB

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:18 pm

My local b&q did isoflex rubber and primer
the coleman
the coleman

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaudiaPB Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:19 pm

Mine doesnt - nor does the next nearest one.

ClaudiaPB

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:23 pm

Local building suppliers should hold it.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaudiaPB Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

Yes, thats what I thought! So far I've tried 2 B&Q stores, 2 Homebase stores, 1 Wickes Store, 1 Halfords store,1 Screwfix and 1 Jewsons. Everyone has the isoflex but nobody stocks the primer. B&Qs website says my local B&Q has it in stock but I've been in and they don't have it, and I've done several Request & Collects and each time got a phone call saying they don't have it in stock. I am starting to think the only stockist is "Kafka's impossible to get supplies Inc". Does this stuff actually exist or is it like tartan paint?

ClaudiaPB

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:40 pm

I have a tin probably not a lot out of it. I could post if you are really stuck. I don't need it now as my wagon wheels are vulcanised.

Also I could check our BQ and post a fresh tin.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaudiaPB Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:03 pm

Thank you so much for your kind offer Lynn - that was really nice of you!

However after an extensive ring round on Saturday I managed to track some down in Milton Keynes, they kindly put it behind the counter for me while I drove over to collect it. So I have Isoflex Primer!!! It does exist!! Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions Very Happy

ClaudiaPB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down